Healthy Well-Aligned Smiles!January 8, 2020
While the most apparent benefit of well-aligned teeth is an attractive smile, straight teeth are also essential for maintaining optimal oral health and function. At the office Pittston, we specialize in addressing teeth that are crowded, gapped or crooked to correct malocclusions and create beautiful smiles.
A poorly aligned smile affects oral health and function in multiple ways:
- A significant overbite leaves protruding top teeth less protected and more vulnerable to injury.
- An open bite with a space between the upper and lower teeth can affect how you speak, chew and swallow.
- Crooked teeth and discrepancies in jaw relationships can interfere with the normal opening and closing of the jaws and cause unhealthy shifts that produce contribute to TMJ dysfunction and pain.
- A malocclusion can also result in abnormal wear patterns of the teeth as you bite and chew.
- It’s more difficult to keep a misaligned smile clean, which results in an increased risk of tooth decay as well as periodontal problems.
- Severe jaw growth discrepancies and the resulting malocclusions can have significant physical and emotional consequences
A healthy, functional, and attractive smile requires teeth that are straight and jaws that are well aligned. As a skilled specialist with several years of advanced training, an orthodontist not only has comprehensive knowledge of dental and facial development, but also the expertise to correct misaligned teeth or improper jaw relationships. Whether it’s the movement of a few teeth, the alignment of an entire bite, or the surgical and orthodontic correction of severe jaw discrepancies, an orthodontist is well equipped to achieve optimal cosmetic and functional outcomes of care.
The value of a healthy and attractive smile is priceless. While orthodontic care requires an investment of time and resources, the benefits to your oral health and overall well-being are worth it!
At the office of Pittston, we’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of skilled and compassionate care. For more information on our office and the many services that we provide, give us a call today.